Saturday 7 January 2012

All that glitters..

Going back a little bit, but Autumn/Winter 2011 (and especially the festive period) has seen one of my favourite major trends in both fashion and beauty: Glitter. And the hype doesn't appear to be dying down anytime soon. (Thank God). In the world of fashion glitter courts and clutches have been seen absolutely everywhere, from runway to high street. In beauty however, glitter nails in particular have been THE trend.
(Clutch: Anya Hindmarch at Net-A-Porter, £350)

I decided to share some of my favourite products that I've been using, and I predict I will be for some time yet. (Magpie alert).

(From left to right - Illamasqua Nail Varnish in shade 'Untold', NYX Glitter Cream Palette in shades 'One Night In Luxury' and Models Own Nail Polish in shade 'Disco Mix')


This was the first product I've had from British brand Illamasqua, and was really excited to try after hearing great things about the theatre make up brand. I stumbled accross them in Selfridges in Manchester when they were a fairly new concession, and the woman on the counter was absolutely lovely and wanted nothing more than to make me familiar with the brand and how they were different with them being from a theatre make up background. I was instantly intregued, won't lie. So back to the nail varnish itself - absolutely lived up to my expectations! This was actually in a set of two nail varnishes, the other was a pillarbox red in shade 'Ruthless'. I haven't got any pictures of nail swatches as I'm currently wearing a nail polish (bit stupid). But te consistancy is what makes it stand out for me. With most glitter nail polishes I've tried, it takes up to 4-5 coats to get maximum effect, but this one only needs 2 for the pigment and effect to stand out. I'll definitely be purchasing some more Illamasqua products in the near future. Illamasqua's nail varnishes are £13.50 each from their website and in department stores.



Next, it's another nail polish, this time from Models Own. I've only recently started using Models Own products, but so far really impressed. The polishes I've used last so much longer than others, at a more affordable price aswell. This particular one was in a special deal on ASOS, where you got the polish and Nail Art Pen in black for £6, bargain. Models Own Glitter polishes on their own retail at £5. This one in particular was an absolutely stunning colour, a mix of blues purples and pinks. This took about 3-4 coats for the colour to really pop, but the durability was worth applying that many coats.


(Illamasqua Nail Polish in 'Untold' and Models Own Glitter Nail Polish in 'Disco Mix')


When I saw this at work, I had to get it. I never used to be a big eyeshadow person, but I have a feeling this palette kickstarted a bit of a love for them. All the shades are absolutely beautiful, and as you can probably tell the second one along is my favourite, I've used it quite a lot. What I like about these is that their a cream instead of a powder eyeshadow, which gives them a completely different effect that's more pigmented. I'd never had any NYX cosmetics before, but I thought I'd try them at £6 and really glad I did, I love them. The only thing I'd pull them up on is that to see the actual colour you need to use a fair amount of the eyeshadow, otherwise it just comes out more glitter than colour. But overall very impressed.


 So that's all for my first post, hope you all liked. After various essay hand ins and exam preparation I hope to be back with a review of my first Glossy Box I'm eagerly awaiting, exciting times!


No comments:

Post a Comment